Sunday, January 14, 2007

Materialism

After reading Schnert's blog about the Sarah McLachlan video i started thinking about one of my friends who lives his life without corporate influence. This guy donated all of his clothes, except for about three of everything, to purple heart because he said he didn't need that much stuff. Not only that but he despises the fact of having money and hates that most of everybody's reason for doing things is motivated by it. He is now fixing old bicycles and giving them away.

After reviewing that it came to my attention that you can pick out most of the people who run their life by what the new 'fad' is. These people are usually high maintenance, very pushy, selfish and an all-together egocentric person. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, but next time you see someone who is self-centered look at how many material possessions that they have. Don't get me wrong, material possessions are needed to live, but an abundance beyond what we can use is being selfish. I know this is a little weird for me to scold materialism seeing how I attend a University specifically for business majors, but I think that that is why I can see this so clearly. Many of the students here have their parents pay for everything and also pay for the alcohol that they all drink before, during, and after the classes that they are supposed to be attending. The parking lot looks like the Detroit Auto-Show all year long because the parents want their kids to have the best car.

I was thinking about the whole giving to the world that was portrayed in the music video and it came to my attention that if you want to give more to the world, you have to make more. Well you can't make more unless you impress the materialistic world by the clothes that you wear to work, the car you drive to you clients house, and all the extra gadgets that you need to help you become more successful. The problem comes when we get so wrapped up in trying to make more money to give away to the world that it soon becomes making more money to buy things that will help make more money. At a certain point you loose all focus on the things that you got into it all.

I got a little off topic but I find it of great importance that you evaluate all the things that you
"need" in life and the things that are truly just wants. It is kind of scary to think about how much you and I have been taken over by this materiality.

Have a Fantastic Day!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nicely put, sir.